The bathroom is an essential room of a house and serves as a place of sanctuary for some. It’s the first place you go to in the morning and one of the last places you go to at night. Because water runs frequently in bathrooms or washrooms, it makes the place damp and humid. As a result, mildew begins to form and if it isn’t cleaned and dried, molds begin to grow and thrive. Molds in the bathroom can pose health threats to homeowners so it is necessary to get rid of them immediately. You can prevent bathroom molds from developing again in the future with a few simple steps.
Causes of Molds
Bathrooms are considered a natural breeding ground for molds. Moisture sticks on your shower liner, walls, windows, tiles, grout, and other areas of the room. One of the major causes of bathroom mold is moisture prevailing in rooms without appropriate ventilation. Showers, tubs, sinks, and leaky pipes contribute to moisture control issues that can lead to mold growth.
How To Prevent Molds From Growing in Your Bathroom
- Keep your bathroom well-ventilated. Open the windows or turn on the fan when showering.
- Dust your bathroom and wipe the surfaces using a lightly damped microfiber cloth.
- Wipe down the shower every after use to prevent sitting water.
- Go for a mold-resistant shower and window curtains. If possible, clean the shower curtain and window once a week.
- Wipe down the shower tiles and grout to get rid of dampness.
- Wash and dry rugs often.
- Repair any plumbing issues like leaking faucets, pipes, and showerheads.
- Hang your damp towels or other wet items and do not leave them on the floor.
- Clean soap scum to prevent giving molds in a home.
Getting Rid of Mold in the Bathroom
Mold in the bathroom is annoying and frustrating especially if it isn’t controlled. Some of the best ways to deal with mold in the bathroom are as follows:
- Maintain the cleanliness and dryness of the surfaces to help prevent mold growth.
- Use mold-killing products such as vinegar, bleach, or hydrogen peroxide in cleaning your bathroom. You may also use baking soda to reduce the appearance of the mold but will not kill 100% mold growth. Please call a professional to fully get rid of mold.
>Don’t mix cleaning solutions because it might cause toxic reactions.
>Always make sure that your bathroom is well-ventilated
especially when cleaning.
>Put on goggles, gloves, and a mask when cleaning your bathroom.
- Apply a sealer to the grout to help prevent mold development in the future.
- Remove any caulk that has mold and re-caulk if necessary.
- If mold from rugs is hard to remove, consider changing them.
- Replace shower curtains if they didn’t respond to mold removal treatments and washing.
If molds go unnoticed, they will start to develop on the ceiling, under the drywall, behind the shower, in the insulation or ventilation system. If that’s the case, please call the mold remediation team at Superior Restoration to prevent it from causing further damage.
Visit our website or you can give us a ring at our local office today, Water Damage San Jacinto. We are available 24/7 to assist you with your mold damage issues.